Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Love/Hope/2007/Future

In the beginning, a skin-deep question: which me in the two photos above do you like? With or without glasses?
It's no surprise that once again and again, the New Year's Eve became an out-and-out catastrophe for me. I think for people like me, who lacks a positive power deep inside, always turn everything met into a tragedy. I witnessed and experienced.
This year I chose to go around Taipei 101 to have the final countdown. I heard there was a unprecedented and unparallelled parade there at 2:00 p.m., so I got there before that. Aah, to my disappointment, that parade was quite small and boring, and I kept standing there watching on the sidewalk.
Afterwards on 4:00 p.m., I decided to line up waiting for the countdown concerts expected to take place on 7:00 a.m. in order to acquire a clearer view at front space. And that's one more mistake I made. One hour after the concert started on 8:00 p.m., I decided to bow out leaving the concerts, for firstly my back was nearly broken, secondly I could not even breathe any fresh air, which was inhaled out in the sardine-like crowds, and thirdly the performers were indeed dull and barely aroused my enthusiasm to hang on there. And that's just another more mistake I made. There were only hundreds of people ahead of me but tens of thousands behind then, and it was by far more difficult to get out of than get into the crowds. After left, no way to get back.
8:30 p.m. I tried to get some food or drinks, and found a seat to rest my miserably paining back. But it wasted me one hour to finally find out a not too bad restaurant, after seeking for a vacant seat in the dining street of Taipei 101, A8, A9, A11, A any number in vain. People were everywhere. P.S. nobody was alone as I noticed. The restaurant I found was actually located near Sun Yat-Sen's Memorial Hall, which was already a MRT station away from Taipei 101.
Having had dinner. 10:00 p.m. I tried to get back to the concert. Wow, there were hundreds of thousands spectators there now. The stage was simply too far from my spot to see anything. After staying for a while, I wanted to go the rest room. I was not really in a hurry; I merely had nothing to do and guessed the call of nature could kill some time. Oh, yeah, it killed incredibly madly a lot of time. After visiting each lavatory on each floor of Taipei 101, A8, A9, A fucking number and stunted by the incomprehensibly damn lengthy queue, I realized that refraining was the best policy.
So, I turned back to the crowds before the stage. And this was the three more silly stupid unforgivable mistake I made. Now, kilometers spanning around Taipei City Hall, every road was occupied by people sitting on it, chatting, eating, waiting for the anticipating Taipei 101 fireworks at the turn of next year. The scene was extremely like Armageddon, pedestrian stuck in the middle of roads, chaotic and sluggish flow of people. I spent one more hour to be pushed, bumped, and stumbled back to the tip of the crowds before the concerts without making it to the toilet. It was 11:30 p.m.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!!!!!!!! The fireworks was not too splendid, but good enough to chat with friends if asked what was done at the final. After the pyrotechnics show, every body was cheering and having fun with friends or family. And it was nothing but one more year for me to be alone. No one to celebrate on or to be celebrated by. I dragged my ailing back, walked through the shouting, screaming, and horn blaring, trod over the mounding garbage, and crammed out of the squeezing cars and jaywalkers homing. At 2:30 AM, I homed at my slobbish and shabby dorm, none with me. I thought to myself, how to explain to others what I did for my New Year's Eve?
However, it was not all that bad. My wallet and mobile phone were still intact with me, in contrast to 7 years ago when I was a college freshman having a brand new mobile phone stolen when I attended a concert. I didn't fall into any unaccountably ridiculous wrangle with strangers, which I was involved 7 years ago in the same event aforementioned. I got 4 messages with best wishes, all from new friends I made during this year and none from old acquaintances. I thought of but didn't take the initiative to call my family, so I deserved all the loneliness.
This way of celebration was not good, yet not that bad. I exaggerated by calling it a catastrophe in the beginning of this essay. Had my life been full of ruins and scars in the past, this was merely a joke to mention, a sort of material to share on the blogs or during daily conversation. I still have a brilliant future, I know. Don't be that pessimistic, childish Oscar. You have had so much. Don't bore your audience away by indulged in your self-righteous gloomy atmosphere. All you have to declare is:
Give Me One Girlfriend! Grant Me With Ordinary Love! C'mon C'mon C'mon To Break My Heart Again! For poor my sake.

No comments: