Thursday, January 4, 2007

Boy One: Hatred/Fear/Life

I pick One Lau as the number one to start in my voyage of boys, because not only his first name is coincidentally just a single word: "One" ("Yi" in Chinese pronunciation), but he is also the most special boy I've ever encountered so far.

I met "One" in the troops during the one month military training last July. He was short, big-eyed, and very sissy as I do-- but he acted more prominently. And that's why I, and most of the peers I believe, got to know and recognize him soon. Right on the first day we entered the troops, both of us made a cannot-be-smaller mistake, and underwent the cannot-be-more-outrageous physical punishment. Even though it has been quite a while passed by, I could still sense the spine-tingling indignity and fears I experienced then. Well, that was the first time I heard Lao gasp numbering off. Just like a chick.

I was grouped into the same team as Lau. Thereafter, we had more opportunities to talk. Lau's father is a veteran over 60 and mother is a polio patient. Allow me to be frank, it sounds like a unsound family background. Lau majored in nutrition at college. He was very out-going and had a very colorful college life despite his unpleasant family affairs. As a matter of fact, he was fun, and to a degree, funny in our team. Yet even so, he had serious problems accommodating himself to the military circumstances, the same as I did. So whenever we were let free, I ran to his bed to complain to each other all the unreasonable sufferings. Bit by bit, I stepped into his world; one time I had the honor to be confessed about his politically incorrect sexual orientation.

As you might have already guessed, to be sissy was against every rule in army. Quickly One became noted. He was the target of peers' jokes and the topic of gossips. Each time he was made fun of and asked evilly about his inclination, he pretended innocence and just smiled without explaining anything. You shall imagine how awkward and embarrassing those moments were. Had it been me, I would have broken down and surrendered to the unpleasant pressure. But beyond my expectations, One confronted all these rude acts with a positive attitude and tough personality. He comforted himself and also me that, everything happened in the troops was merely a transit; one month later, we would be set free to serve the substitute service in the "public" society, in contrast to the close system of army filled with atrocities and insults. Yeah, he fared well off as time went by, and stepped out the troops with laughter. He made it and helped me make it, too.

I need to dedicate my thanks to One Lao. Had there not been him, I would have suffered more unnecessary and unfriendly attentiveness then. At least people noticed him before me for the feminine conduct. Although I hesitate saying so, this world is factually a men's world in most part. Men made a earning, drew policies, initiated wars, and set standards regarding what is good and what is evil. To the majority of men, the way our world goes is so natural, like bidden by Goodness. Thereby, it is difficult to persuade Great Men, who have played critical roles in human history for centuries that, there are somebody else on earth. There remains minority, and minority doesn't mean freaks/plagues/heresy/heterodox/monsters/aliens/ curses.

Well, here is my deepest and sincerest protests and appeals to our army institutions. Not every man can fit in that kind of training or environment. Not each man wannnabe the "man". If discrepancy shall be respected in a democratic society as now, can military training still be obligatory? Can our young fellows say no to drafts, if they don't feel comfortable in that? What good on earth does this obligation do to our youngsters? Do they deserve it? Are others worth them?

No comments: