Monday, May 7, 2007

Boy Twenty-Four: Marshall Islands

At the time I wrote this essay, Michael has been in Marshall Islands already. I put entry Boy 24 so late because I think it takes some time for me to contemplate our relationship and let it subside for a while.
The first time I knew I would go to Marshall Islands with Michael, shame on me to say, it wasn't a very positive feeling. He is very, mmmh, manful, like a hulk, doesn't care too much about people's feelings, says anything straight-forward and careless, and just runs for it. An entire different extreme from me, as you could tell. I was then vexed, what could we try to be together doing just fine?
And later I learned, once you have prejudice against somebody, the evil intuition will lead you that way. I didn't have too much fun working with Michael. I wasn't too comfortable with his working style, a little perfunctory, a bit dragging out. Negative feelings grew up insidiously in the deepest layer of my mind, reaching the extent so high that he noticed. We broke up wrangling. He condemned me first. Then I took him as a stranger, tuning my cold back at him.
But Michael is a man, a big man, not verjuiced Bill confined in his little mind. He talked to me actively; step by step, I shed down my mask, too, rebuilt up our relationship. I need to emphasize, it was Michael who actively expressed his good will to me. As I remembered, at that time, I wasn't yet matured to forgive as he did.
I also remembered he bough a big cake at his birthday and shared it with me and other roommates, though I could not recall it was before or after our conflict.
And guess what, life is tricky and funny. Eventually I didn't go to Marshall Islands. Michael and another ludicrously verjuiced Michael went. Just this April. I lost the chance to be with him in a super tiny islet for half a year. Recalling this, I took it as a pity-- our story doesn't go any further.
Michael was very frank and truthful with his background. Unlike most medical students born with a silver spoon, his growth process was dramatically sorrowful. But he went through confronting all the unfavorable, turning out to be an emergency-doctor-to-be, tough, headstrong. I appreciate his honesty and sincerity for sharing his story with me, since it isn't easy to unveil your painful dark past. Six months ago, I didn't think of it that, after going this long way for both me and Michael, one day I will start to miss him. Now, here, I send my most wishful messages thousand miles away to him: Run for it, and have fun, Big Mike! I'll see you when you come back.

No comments: