Thursday, July 19, 2007

Boy Seventeen: Little Ghost 小鬼

Little Ghost has very exciting stories in his serving military service. Today I only mention one. But firstly go back to his high school days when he was typically a campus rascal. In his wicked dog-eat-dog school, he joined other gangsters to bully other students in order not to be bullied. His father had worried about his terrible school records, so sent him to New Zealand at grade 10. Without disappointment, he became diligent and acquired the bachelor degree in pharmacology in Auckland University. Last year, he came back to Taiwan to serve his obligatory service, and became my comrade in team two in 成功嶺.
His stories in 成功嶺 were no less sensational. In one day off in 台中 city, he witnessed one of our comrades chased by several servicemen from team 14. He stood out trying to mediate it, but in vain. What's worse, during chaos, he was hit. From impulse, he hit back, and initiated another group fighting-- he and another of my comrade, 2 in total, versus more than 10 guys of team 14.
Group fighting is a serious and severe trouble in military troops, especially when we were all newcomers in 成功嶺. But he was regarded as a victim in that event, and his bravery to fight for comrades won the leader's admiration and compassion. This unpleasant and disgraceful event ended up with one senior officer trying to appease and suppress it. Though rather unwilling, he accepted the apologize from those who hit him and received a tiny sum of compensation.
I have dined with Little Ghost once. He is not a bad guy. At least not for now. He has his apprehension and observation of the society, as well as sense of justice and values judgement. If really to blame, too impulsive I suppose. But recently he told me he learned to draw back more. One for he felt dejected and discouraged that in that fight none of our comrades came to help him against the many others, the other for he was getting coward and intimidated by the society as he got older. Recalling that tragedy, he felt quite regretful and unworthy.
In my point of view, this is absolutely a dilemma--to stand out or not to be involved. I would have chosen to be a coward had it been me in that situation. But it doesn't mean I regard him wrong or unwise. We all have made so many different choices to come this long way. Anyway, after contacting many boys, I realize the impulsive fires burn in each boy's heart; they may hide at usual, but still exist. Little Ghost is the coolest comrade I have ever had. Thank him for willing to share with me his stories!

No comments: